Spots are limited so make sure you check it out and reserve yours! The summer series starts in May with Level 1. Levels 1-4, combined, provide 40 hours of medical interpreter training which is a requirement to take the national certification exams.
Summer 2022 Medical Interpreter Series Dates
- Level 1: Foundations of Professional Interpretation for Health and Human Services
Registration Deadline - May 4
Level 1 Live Webinar - May 11
- Level 2: Interpreter Training for Health and Human Services: Ethics, Skills Improvement, and Practical Study
Prerequisite - Level 1
Registration Deadline - May 11
Level 2 Live Webinar - May 18
- Level 3: Medical Interpreter Training: Introduction to Anatomy/Physiology and Medical Terminology
No Prerequisite - Must be Spanish-English Fluent
Registration Deadline - May 18
Level 3 Live Webinar - May 25
- Level 4: Medical Interpreter Ethics and Standards of Practice; Sight Translation; and Introduction to Simultaneous Interpretation
Prerequisite - Levels 1 - 3
Registration Deadline - May 25
Level 4 Live Webinar - June 1
- Overview of National Professional Medical Interpreter Certification Exams
Registration Deadline - June 1
Overview of Certification Exam Review Live Webinar - June 8
Forty hours of medical interpreter training is one of the prerequisites to take the National Medical Interpreter Certification Examination. Levels 1-4 in this series, combined, fulfill this requirement.
Who Should Attend
Bilingual individuals who currently provide interpreter services or intend to provide interpreter services, in any language, in any health or human services settings, as well as interpreter supervisors or anyone who writes or implements Title VI compliance policies.
Daniel Holcombe, PhD, is an Assistant Professor of Spanish at Georgia College & State University, where he teaches all levels of Spanish language and culture courses, including interpretation and translation in health care. He holds a BA in Spanish from the University of North Carolina Asheville and a MA and PhD in Spanish from Arizona State University. Dr. Holcombe is an expert on medical interpretation and national certification. He has served as a Spanish-English interpreter for over thirty years and has taught foreign language interpreter training in NC for over ten years.