Return to nursing or reactivate your license with the NC AHEC RN Refresher Program!
NC AHEC’s RN Refresher Program consists of the UNC-Chapel Hill theory course and the regional AHEC clinical practicum. This program is for registered nurses (RNs) with a lapsed license of greater than five years or those who want to refresh their nursing knowledge. After successful completion of the program, RNs with a lapsed license are eligible to reapply for licensure through the NC Board of Nursing.
The UNC-Chapel Hill theory course is online and self-paced so you can balance work, life, and your career. The theory course consists of 24-modules that review a full range of common adult health problems. The clinical practicum is managed by your regional AHEC and provides 140 hours of clinical learning experiences. For RNs with an active license, the clinical practicum is optional.
WHO YOU ARE
- A registered nurse with a lapsed license of greater than 5 years
- Any registered nurse who wants to update their knowledge
- Seeking life balance to meet your career objective whether you have a busy schedule or more free time
- Ready for meaningful and gainful employment in the nursing field
- Committed to helping more registered nurses return to the field
- Dedicated to your success in completing the program so that you can reach your career goal
- Flexible and ready to meet you where you are
- Determined to treat your commitment as an investment for your future
NC AHEC and UNC-Chapel Hill have partnered to help more individuals successfully return to the nursing profession through a two-part program.
PART 1 OF THE 2-PART PROGRAM
Theory Course (available to in- and out-of-state residents)
- A 24-module course to review, expand, or update your knowledge in the field of Adult Health
- Online, self-paced coursework that accommodates your personal and professional schedules
- Offered through UNC-Chapel-Hill’s nationally ranked School of Nursing and Digital and Lifelong Learning (DLL)
PART 2 OF THE 2-PART PROGRAM
Clinical Practicum* (only available to in-state residents)
- 140-hour clinical practicum with multiple learning experiences
- Includes hands-on instruction in current procedures and equipment
- Offered through your regional AHEC to ensure accessibility and convenience
After successful completion of the program, RNs with a lapsed license are eligible to reapply for licensure through the NC Board of Nursing.
*For RNs with an active license, the clinical practicum is optional.
Counties Served by the Northwest AHEC region: Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Iredell, Rowan, Stokes, Surry, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin
Ready to get started? Contact your regional RN Refresher Coordinator below:
Ellen Zimmerman, MSN, RN