This year’s Share the Health Fair was a huge success!!! Thanks to all attendees, volunteers, community organizations, staff, and sponsors for a wonderful fair.
On November 12th, 2022 the Share the Health Fair was held in Downtown Health Plaza. Share the Health Fair is an annual, one-day free health fair organized by students to offer health screenings, educational services, and community resources for individuals and families within the community who may be otherwise unable to be seen by a healthcare provider.
Share the Health Fair offered the following FREE health screenings that were open to anyone:
- Core health screenings: weight, body mass index (BMI), and blood pressure
- Influenza and COVID-19 vaccinations
- Blood glucose testing
- Blood cholesterol testing
- Glaucoma and vision screenings
- Sexually transmitted infection testing
- Lung function testing (spirometry)
- Bone density
- Strength and Balance testing
- Dental screenings
- Dermatological screenings
- Mental health screenings (available with private rooms specifically set aside to maximize participant privacy and comfort)
Since its inception in 1998, the mission of the Share the Health Fair has been to provide basic medical screenings and information on healthcare and healthy living for all members of the Winston-Salem community, especially those who may not otherwise have adequate access to these services. It is an entirely student-organized effort, providing a unique opportunity for Wake Forest University School of Medicine students to learn about community health and promote wellbeing within the community that has welcomed us as we pursue medical education.
Share the Health Fair exists to help meet these health discrepancies by minimizing barriers to care, improving social determinants of health, increasing awareness of preventative measures to avoid common chronic diseases, connecting fair participants to options for year-round healthcare, and empowering fair participants with the tools necessary to take their health into their own hands.