Veterans Day is November 11, 2021. Join us as we celebrate and honor all veterans for their service, sacrifice and willingness to serve for the common good.
In honor of Veterans Day here are some resources specifically for Veterans and their Families that we are excited to tell you about:
- The AARP recently launched a new tool to bring together valuable information and resources to help veterans, military families and their caregivers navigate their health care options in North Carolina
- The Health Sciences Library at UNC has compiled a variety of links and resources for veterans and their families
NC AHEC Librarians have compiled a list of Open Access scholarly articles with a focus on Military and Veterans Health :
- Berg KM, Gruber SJ, Jorenby DE. Helping women veterans quit smoking: a qualitative analysis of successful and unsuccessful attempts. BMC Womens Health. 2020;20(1):63. Published 2020 Mar 30. doi:10.1186/s12905-020-00918-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7106739/
- Brintz CE, Miller S, Olmsted KR, et al. Adapting Mindfulness Training for Military Service Members With Chronic Pain. Mil Med. 2020;185(3-4):385-393. doi:10.1093/milmed/usz312. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7134381/
- Dworkin ER, Bergman HE, Walton TO, Walker DD, Kaysen DL. Co-Occurring Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Alcohol Use Disorder in U.S. Military and Veteran Populations. Alcohol Res. 2018;39(2):161-169. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6561402/
- Gibson CJ, Maguen S, Xia F, Barnes DE, Peltz CB, Yaffe K. Military Sexual Trauma in Older Women Veterans: Prevalence and Comorbidities. J Gen Intern Med. 2020;35(1):207-213. doi:10.1007/s11606-019-05342-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6957619/
- Kelly MR, Robbins R, Martin JL. Delivering Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in Military Personnel and Veterans. Sleep Med Clin. 2019;14(2):199-208. doi:10.1016/j.jsmc.2019.01.003. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6494095/
- Military Health in North Carolina. North Carolina Medical Journal. 2015;76(5, theme issue):279-342.
- Silverberg ND, Iaccarino MA, Panenka WJ, et al. Management of Concussion and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Synthesis of Practice Guidelines. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020;101(2):382-393. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2019.10.179. https://www.archives-pmr.org/article/S0003-9993(19)31305-X/fulltext