Falls Prevention Awareness Week is a national health campaign observed on the first day of fall to increase awareness around falls health and injury prevention. Join us September 18-22, 2023 for Falls Prevention Week, a nationwide effort to raise awareness that falls are preventable. Read more on our blog and check out our online Falls Prevention activity!
As a clinician working in an outpatient setting, are you confident in how and when to appropriately screen patients for falls?
Do you know:
- What to do when they screen positive?
- How to determine their risk for falling again? Why that matters?
- What else you can do to help?
Northwest AHEC offers you an interactive, visually engaging, online program you can complete from your computer, tablet, or smartphone. This program focuses on outpatient health care professionals and the community dwelling adults they care for. You will access practical, evidence-based tools and resources you can use immediately to protect your patients. Register today, there is NO COST for this online, self-paced activity.
The UNC Center for Aging and Health, Carolina Geriatric Education Center provided support for this activity and there is no fee. Upon completion of the online event and evaluation, 1.0 Nursing Contact Hour may be awarded. Northwest Area Health Education Center (NWAHEC) is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the North Carolina Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- NCOA's Falls Free Check-Up: (English and Spanish versions), a digital tool that provides a personalized overview of falls risk factors and ways to address them.
- Falls Prevention Conversation Guide: English (link to guide)
- The Role of a Physical Therapist in Healthy Again: English (link to article)